Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Portland Beer

I have just recently spent three days in Portland, Oregon. This was my first trip to Portland and I wanted to try food from food trucks in the city as well as visit a few of my favorite breweries. I ended up visiting four breweries/brewpubs while I was there. I began with one of the McMenamins pubs, Ringlers Pub at the Crystal Ballroom on Sunday night and I had their sampler, which had 7 beers to try. Around noon on Monday, I headed out away from downtown to visit Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) on the east side of Portland.
At HUB, I tried their sampler and had a light lunch, their sampler consisted of 6 year-round beers and 4 seasonals!!! Later in the afternoon, I had some free time after returning to the downtown hotel. I walked a couple of blocks to the Brewery Blocks neighborhood and stopped at the Deschutes Brewing Public House brewpub near Powell's Books. While I was there I tried their sampler, which I was able to select 6 beers from. I chose ones that I hadn't ever tried before, mostly ones only available at the pub that were not packaged and sold elsewhere and I followed those with a pint of their cask Green Lakes Organic Ale. As the afternoon and evening went on I spent more time walking around downtown and went to a movie (The Debt) at the Livingroom Theaters, where I could have had a drink (or food) during the movie but I was waiting for a special evening treat... The final stop for the day was to visit the Rogue Distillery and Public House also in Downtown Portland. Along with dinner I had a Mogul Madness Ale, which was very good. In the end, I purchased several beers to go from Rogue including a beer that I anticipate will be one of the ones I talk about for years and years to come...the VOODOO Bacon Maple Ale. I haven't tried it yet but I will definitely share it here on the blog when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment